COVID 19 Compliant - Afternoon Newbie Desert Drive - Bab al Shams - Dubai - 11 Sep 2020

Ale Vallecchi

3 minutes ago, Roopesh babu said:

Hi Ale, I am new member, i don't have a radio, can I take part today's drive ?

@Roopesh babu If you leave for the drive 30 min earlier today, you can drive by Dragon Mart and buy one - I followed the excellent advice on this forum by Frederic :-)

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Roopesh babu said:

Hi @Roopesh babu as you are an Absolute Newbie you will need to join an Absolute Newbie drive first. You were signed up on that one this morning but did not show up.

• Like (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

28 minutes ago, Onlyjunaid said:

@Ale Vallecchi - Sorry but I won't be able to make it for this drive due to health issues, going to see the doctor instead

Sorry for this @Onlyjunaid. Take good care and see you next time. 

2 hours ago, Roopesh babu said:

Hi @Roopesh babu. Unfortunately, as @Frederic mentioned, it will not be possible to join this drive as an Absolute Newbie. Also, without a radio nobody is allowed to join any drive. Please sign up for next week's Absolute Newbie drive, then you will be able to drive in a Newbie convoy, but only with a radio. Thanks for your interest. 

• Like (+1) 1

SMOOTH OPERATORS - Bab al Shams Newbie Drive Report

Not used to leading Newbie convoys, I chose an area that allows to drive smoothly for quite a long stretch, with multiple exit areas, and a relatively forgiving terrain (yet with the opportunity to increase the challenge according to the convoy's potential). All drivers responded brilliantly, completing the excursion with minimum refusals, and only one stuck (quickly dealt with). Congratulations to @Mahmoud Hamzawy for executing his first Second Lead with precision and care, and to @David Ortells for his support at Center Forward, from which he guided the few refusals, and the only recovery. Perfect drive by the Jeep contingent (@Andrei, @Hatim Patharia, @Vijaysekhar, @Shaaz Sha and @Arun Mathew), the other component of the FJ pack @Christian Andras and @Anand Nataraj, the lone XTerra driver: well done all of you. A special mention goes to @Hardik Mody, for managing with great attention his Montero (the less "desert oriented" car of the bunch), overcoming his initial hesitancy, and crossing all obstacles with good care and ease. Finally, special thanks to @Wrangeld for his always vigilant presence, which this time was made easier and more relaxed by the convoy's discipline and smooth driving.

Smooth is the word that comes to mind more often when describing this drive, as smooth it was.

This should not be taken for granted on a Newbie drive, considering we also traversed a couple of quite tricky technical areas, where I was expecting many more complications. Apparently less "scary" to a greener driver than the big, tall dunes, these technical areas are everywhere in the desert, and their crossing will need to be mastered just as much as the apparently more fun crossing of famous, more spectacular landmarks. The convoy did brilliantly, finessing its way through some small but treacherous steps, without damaging bumpers, digging itself into soft sand, or needing any major redirection.

The other technical skill we practiced on the long range dunes of this sector was side sloping, which also went....smoothly, with only a couple of refusals, due to soft sand. My congratulations to the convoy, as I did not see any of the fishtailing, sliding off the dune, or fighting gravity that sometimes are seen at this level: all cars took the correct approach, used the right momentum, and exited with good form. 

We also enjoyed a bit of night driving, in the last part of the itinerary, through the mud formations and the sand track toward the exit.

The statistics testify the smoothness of this drive in terms of its length and speed: 45.4 Km., driven at an average moving speed of 23 Km/h, in 2:34 hours time. 

Good Job everybody, and see you soon.

20200911_190909.jpg

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 2

Thank you Ale and all others for a wonderful drive . It was Soo smooth and entertaining and could learn a lot in this drive. Thanks and hope to catch up soon in upcoming events.

• Like (+1) 2

Important Information

Terms of use