•  

Morning Fewbie Desert Drive - Bab Al Shams - Dubai - 10 Dec 2021

sertac

25 minutes ago, Warren Flay said:

No apology required brother, this is a team sport and all opinions are worthy of consideration.

This is the 3rd time I'm witnessing such difficult recoveries. 1. @Wrangeld of @jodha singh shekhawat's Y62, 2. @Shaaz Sha & @Gaurav recovering a FJ Cruiser at LIWA, 3. @Srikumar recovering @Michel Van Woudenberg's LC 300 and there are some procedures you have to adhere to in these situations. I have seen the seniors executing this and atleast I believe I know what not to do rather than knowing what to do and how to. 1 of them is not tying the anchor rope to the roof except to the chassis or the towpoints available unless and otherwise its absolutely necessary for the safety of the humans inside the car if they can't get out by any other means and destruction of the car is inevitable. As you said warren you may have done it in these extreme conditions not when no human life is endangered and the car can be recovered safely without any damage as @Srikumar has demonstrated in front of our own eyes. 

No more comments and I apologize for voicing my concerns. 

Edited by Thomas Varghese

Great drive @sertac! Many thanks for choosing a nice route so that me in my new car ( @Thomas Varghese it was 422k, what’s with that huge discount my friend 🤣) got a nice workout AND my friends and I had an amazing time.

They also understood why we drive in convoys now and were mightily impressed with all the helpful people around in the middle of a desert  

Special thanks to @Srikumarand @Warren FlayFor their assistance, it was very much appreciated especially with @PaoloMarazitirecent incident fresh in my mind 😱

PS

@Fredericyou seemed a bit disappointed when you arrived on the scene mate?  Not sure if it’s because you were expecting my FJ40 or because it was too late to render assistance !? hahaha

Clearly it was my own fault for getting it stuck where I did but I learned to steer down quicker and use the power of the car even in the same ride a few times after this mishap, that’s what I’m looking to get out of this, fun and better driving so mission achieved and no need for apologies 🙏🏻

upwards & onwards guys !

010669E2-9565-49A7-A14A-6863E1CB4D59.jpeg

4B33E510-E676-4652-A5E2-5700E719D4AC.jpeg

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 2

On 12/11/2021 at 1:33 PM, Warren Flay said:

Well what an eventful drive! My first at sweep and I have to say first of all, respect to all the previous sweeps out there, that soft Dubai sand REALLY gets choppy by the time nine other trucks have slid, skidded and wheelspun their way across it!

We had a nice technical, ridgy didge track through the dunes with lovely cool temperatures to keep things calm. Quite a few refusals and stucks indicate the the challenge was real but I have to say, as usual the teamwork was tip top and we all swung in behind the fellows in need to get things moving again. We enjoyed a special 'learning event' when the mighty land whale of @Michel Van Woudenbergdecided to have a little lie down in a pocket which required managment intervention to help extricate. All good, lots of opinions voiced (thanks @Thomas Varghese) and a safe rescue was achieved.

My thanks to @sertacfor planning an interesting course and to @Serafinofor keeping a steady hand on the tiller with a special mention to @ShereenMKrolling at number 9 in such a competent and sure footed way, I never had to worry about what was happening in front of me, I could just concentrate on picking the ruts I was going to plow through ;-)

Already looking forward to the next one.

IMG_2251.jpg.a62bdc8546be8dd46bcf33784597a775.jpgIMG_0017.JPG.9d16c446a90f948dfbcec7958ab399a2.JPG

@sertac @Warren Flaygents i believe that we all enjoyed this trip and learnt a lot from it as well.

though we may have different opinions on how to tackle emergencies, ultimately we all came out of this trip with a 'bit' more off-road recovery knowledge.

my minor refusal reminded me that even the mighty Y61 can get stuck - i am/was afraid to drop my tyre pressure to 12 PSI after my pop-out 2 weeks ago.

@Michel Van Woudenberg mighty guts from you to bring the new beast out in the desert so shortly after getting this car handed-over to you the previous night.  i was stuck in a similar situation like you during my first drive in the Y61 - the more experienced drivers guided me out of this issue and trust me i was shitting my pants!

having said this, i look forward to drive with all of you again - no exception.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use