COVID 19 Compliant - Morning Newbie Desert Drive - Fossil Rock - Sharjah - 17 Jul 2020

Rahimdad

19 minutes ago, Rahimdad said:

Trip Report - When things keep changing.

The main challenge for me today was waking up at 3 am to make it to meeting point in good time. Was so worried I hardly slept. Moreover I checked my mobile to see @sertac would not be able to make it due to the late purchase of his new 4x4 which needs a service before taking it off-road. Thanks to a small group and good participants it was easy for me to do the convoy again. As soon as I started from home on the other side was full of police cars and an ambulance making its way. Came to find out that someone trying to cross the road got hit. May God Almighty help him to good health soon.

I reached the meeting point early to offer my prayers and deflated. As I reached the meeting point everybody was deflating and getting ready to go. All except @Onlyjunaid who got delayed due to his blood sugar dropping. We finally had to do the radio briefing and start our journey without him.

We had a brilliant time out, starting with the rains yesterday which meant the sand was not as soft when starting. On the other hand the bushes all over the place meant we had to be slow and cautious. We had a great play time with the sand hard and clean, but meant the dip gave a bit of a hard bump from time to time, although nothing so bad to worry about. As we made our way to our large play area I was surprised to see a clean slate as posted in the pics in the Gallery. After a quick play session we were off to the top of Fossil Rocks, with a smooth path straight down we opted to go down the steep way. As our convoy made their way down we were disturbed by a group, but a quick check with their lead meant we were all given a chance to descend before they took their turn.

As we came down it was not yet 7:30 am so I asked thecgrouo and they wanted to continue. So off to Faya it was for us. As we made our way to Camel Rock we were again faced with another group which meant there was loads of traffic. I took the alternate quick route to Faya which everybody managed well. My second surprise for the day came to see a virgin Faya front face. We started to attempt the front face of Faya which was very smooth after a long time. Our happiness though was short lived as another group again took over. I was able to manage to reach the top through my cheat route. But as I was about to show everybody my cheat route only found @Veedooshee on top with me as yet another group just started using that as well. The highest climber to the top was our own @Chaitanya D with his powerful Xterra. At this point we headed out, inflated and on our way home as it started to get hot. I was pleased to check with everyone and got a feedback that everyone enjoyed.

@Veedooshee was my second lead. First time for her to follow me and she did well to keep up the pace and a very safe gap. On one occasion she even helped me to reroute which really helped the entire convoy.

@AviG did very well with his more than capable Prado and seems to be gaining mire confidence the more he drives. Follows I instructions well and pleasure having him on board.

@David Ortells did well with his FJ and showed us why the FJ is considered as one of the best off-road vehicles. He glided through the dunes with utmost ease and poise.

@Sreejith Sreenivasan surprised me with his LR2 as it proved to be pretty good in this terrain. At start I did have some doubts, but within the first hour of driving all my fears vanished as it took on the terrain with ease. I had a little concern when comming down from Fossil Rock as it did not have Low Gear, but the hill decent option helped me to decide in the positive.

@topgear did wonders with his FJ and was not to be out done by any challenge. He held his own and showed us what one can achieve by following the pointers discussed and concentration throughout the drive.

@Nivin did very well with his Xterra which changed colour as the sun came up. It was a magic car for me. I though it was black as we started, but as the sun shown down on us I realized it was a dark blue. He is a Fewbie and his confidence and steady hand at the steering wheel proved he deserves that rank all the way.

@Vanessa8580 makes any drive fill up with her energy which is such a positive start for the day. I made a promise to her at start and I hope I kept my promise. A bright smile right from the start to the finish line, she is such a pleasure to have knowing she would be the first to jump to help.

@Chaitanya D is an improved driver with his Xterra. However being my sweep today made me realize what an asset he is in that position. He has a very cool and calm demeanour and is very clear in his communications. His patience is second to none and that in itself is such a blessing to have in any position when you're off-roading.

All in all a very big thank you to everyone who participated. A lovely morning when my heat gauge stayed in place throughout the drive. We did about 33 kilometers off-road which was amazing to do in 3 hours with play time in 2 places and the descent fro Fossil Rick which requires some extra time. Well done everyone, till next time I bid you farewell. Have a great weekend. My pics are updated in the Gallery. You can add your pics there as well for all to enjoy and get a hint at the special drive we had this morning.

Wow such a nice trip report Sir @Rahimdad, thank you so much...

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Thank you for your encouraging words and a detailed trip report @Rahimdad. Special thanks for your non stop directions, guidance and commentary over the radio during the whole drive which is quite a task . Everyone enjoyed the drive, as we did two places - fossil rock and Faya.

Well driven everyone 👍,  some pictures uploaded in the gallery

• Like (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use