COVID 19 Compliant - Evening Fewbie Desert Drive - Pink Rock to Big Red - Sharjah - 29 May 2020

Srikumar

Yesterday was my first fewbie drive and it was lot of fun and thanks to @Emmanuel as he kept good pace which allowed to have some good momentum, so I dint have any fear of getting stuck. Location was scenic, and drive was more fun.

The play area was really testing the driving skill more than the power of the car and still trying to figure out why I could not do it.  

Badly waiting for my next drive and wanted to learn the required skills to conquer the play area like yesterday.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Well Done (+2) 4

Many thanks to @Emmanuel, @Wrangeld & @Jeepie, and last but not least, @Ale Vallecchi for organizing, supervising and making the drive as fun as it could possibly be. I always learn something new in each drive, which exceeds my expectations when I joined the club. The heat caused some delays and deprived some drivers from fully enjoying the adventure. Be that as it may, the excitement was evident and the experience added another great memory to my UAE adventure repertoire.

Thank you @Wrangeld for the encouragement and the very nice words, particularly the supportive attitude towards women joining the club as active members.

See you all next Friday!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 2

Once again thanks @Frederic for the sound advice. That was actually what i had in mind, Once my car is fixed i'll do some more newbie drives to test the car performance before i'll go back to Fewbie.  As for the radio , i can manage answering the calls  but my only issue is the clarity of message reception due to its poor quality. I have purchased the unit you recommend but unfortunately we were not able to program it yesterday to the right frequency.  That's why @Vanessa8580 offered her kind help to take it to an expert like you.

Thanks @Chaitanya D for the recommendation .I'll  try this one

See you soon guys !

• Like (+1) 6
  • Sad (0) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

@Wrangeld thank you for your precious support and for the amazing trip report. I agree with every single word in it. Indeed, since I started off-roading, I never ever saw Big Red area in such a beautiful shape. Usually you see 4x4 footprints on each dune, but yesterday it was like another world.

@Najeeb Mohammed you did absolutely well all along the drive, don't focus on a little refusal. With practice you will learn how to unleash your FJ power and reach the highest dunes of the Emirates.   

@Desert Dweller it was so nice to see how much you got confident. Very well done ! 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 2

On 5/30/2020 at 11:09 AM, Najeeb Mohammed said:

Yesterday was my first fewbie drive and it was lot of fun and thanks to @Emmanuel as he kept good pace which allowed to have some good momentum, so I dint have any fear of getting stuck. Location was scenic, and drive was more fun.

The play area was really testing the driving skill more than the power of the car and still trying to figure out why I could not do it.  

Badly waiting for my next drive and wanted to learn the required skills to conquer the play area like yesterday.

@Najeeb Mohammed As you also drive an FJ I can try to offer you my view, as it was watching you from a bit far away. First question is what gear were you driving to go up the dune in the play area? With shifty sand, and a few ruts (you were going 4th or 5th) you probably needed more momentum, using perhaps a lower gear than 4H-4. Did you try a lower gear?

Also, as @Emmanuel mentioned on your second attempt, it was important that you approached the ridge where you had problems from a higher point. The FJ has power, but it's still quite long, and if you climb from a low point, the rear will tend to be dragged down on the incline (especially if the momentum is not enough).

Your car is lifted (if I remember well) so the issue was not clearance over the ridge.

You will have time in the next drives to get more acquainted with each gear you can use in 4H, based on the different terrains and angles (all the way to the lowest 1 gear, very handy in steep climbs of tall dunes, where you need power and control), and see how the car and yourself feel when taking a bit higher approaches. Side sloping is a good time to practice these skills, so try to use these opportunities, while always having the possibility of going down the slope safely, as soon as you feel the gravity is pulling the back of the car, or the momentum is no longer enough.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

6 hours ago, Ale Vallecchi said:

@Najeeb Mohammed As you also drive an FJ I can try to offer you my view, as it was watching you from a bit far away. First question is what gear were you driving to go up the dune in the play area? With shifty sand, and a few ruts (you were going 4th or 5th) you probably needed more momentum, using perhaps a lower gear than 4H-4. Did you try a lower gear?

Also, as @Emmanuel mentioned on your second attempt, it was important that you approached the ridge where you had problems from a higher point. The FJ has power, but it's still quite long, and if you climb from a low point, the rear will tend to be dragged down on the incline (especially if the momentum is not enough).

Your car is lifted (if I remember well) so the issue was not clearance over the ridge.

You will have time in the next drives to get more acquainted with each gear you can use in 4H, based on the different terrains and angles (all the way to the lowest 1 gear, very handy in steep climbs of tall dunes, where you need power and control), and see how the car and yourself feel when taking a bit higher approaches. Side sloping is a good time to practice these skills, so try to use these opportunities, while always having the possibility of going down the slope safely, as soon as you feel the gravity is pulling the back of the car, or the momentum is no longer enough.

1st attempt i was going in Auto so i dint get enough power at the end, 2nd attempt i used low gear 2 which gave enough power but  as mentioned by @Emmanuel my strategy was wrong as car slided while turning so i lost the momentum and then i dint try. Lets see next time to understand what exactly i am doing wrong. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Najeeb Mohammed said:

1st attempt i was going in Auto so i dint get enough power at the end, 2nd attempt i used low gear 2 which gave enough power but  as mentioned by @Emmanuel my strategy was wrong as car slided while turning so i lost the momentum and then i dint try. Lets see next time to understand what exactly i am doing wrong. 

@Najeeb Mohammed if you used 4H-2 that's plenty of power and momentum for that dune. Then it's just a matter of approach. Don't worry, you'll perfect your trajectories with each drive.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

Hi guys. I got  refusal using 4H-D On my approach at the foot of  pink rock mountain on full trottle. 

Should i have shifted the gear to 4H-2 or 1?

Please advice. 

Thanks

• Like (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use