Advertise here

Underbody car wash after off-road drive

Thomas Varghese

1 hour ago, Sajit Modiyil said:

@Thomas Varghese I did have similar issue with my Xterra, a slight delay in acceleration. Arabian auto mechs couldn’t find anything abnormal. But later I have sorted it by replacing the plugs and cleaning the air flow sensor. 

@Sajit Modiyil Thanks for the advice. Its almost time to change the plugs but the problem is there from the 1st day I bought it and plugs were changed that time. As I'm the 2nd owner no clue if this is normal. This is the problem - No issues in accelerating from stand still but when u r cruising at a good speed and want to accelerate suddenly the Xterra suddenly shifts gears down and then start to accelerate. Shifting gear takes 2 to 3 valuable seconds. Don't know if its normal behavior for an automatic transmission as the only automatic transmission I have driven is the CVT in Altima.  

• Like (+1) 1

There are so many Xterra owners in the community, I'm sure someone can help. @Emmanuel @Shamil @Desert Dweller Dr @Chaitanya D Dr @Mohamed Seidam @Tbone @Janarthan. Common guys wake up.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Yes awake just now @Rahimdad🤣.There is a small OD - Over drive button on the gear lever under the knob at the position of thumb when you hold the gear.

Press it and u will see gear numbers while driving. If its 4 you can down shift to 3 manually , if you cannot wait for the automatic while driving fast to over take or whatever. Try this OD button and play around . Go through the link below 

https://www.thenewx.org/threads/2011-pro-4x-over-drive.51106/#post-795826

Having said all this, I usually drive my Xterra with cruise control on highways at 80 or 90 kmph listening to my favorite music on the 3rd lane.I lose may be few min, but the drive is enjoyable. Never tried this OD 

Edited by Chaitanya D
  • Like (+1) 4
  • WOW (+2) 1

My experience regarding OD in my X 

I keep  it off ( dash bored yellow indicator for OD appearing ) while navigating tight technical and keep the gear on 2 , no hassle at all no lag and I trained my foot on the accelerator ( one variable only ) . I keep it on 3 while the space is bigger but the pace slightly faster like in F+ 

I never switch to gear 1 unless climbing / descending a steep long ridge ( also in this to start the gear from moving and not on the way ) in other words : fix your gear to what the situation dictates from the start and play with the gas control this way you grab the initial momentum and mostly won’t slip 

for on road D only and no numbers ( OD )😉

every one has his own style and what apply for one vehicle might not apply for another 

• Like (+1) 3

52 minutes ago, Mohamed Seidam said:

My experience regarding OD in my X 

I keep  it off ( dash bored yellow indicator for OD appearing ) while navigating tight technical and keep the gear on 2 , no hassle at all no lag and I trained my foot on the accelerator ( one variable only ) . I keep it on 3 while the space is bigger but the pace slightly faster like in F+ 

I never switch to gear 1 unless climbing / descending a steep long ridge ( also in this to start the gear from moving and not on the way ) in other words : fix your gear to what the situation dictates from the start and play with the gas control this way you grab the initial momentum and mostly won’t slip 

for on road D only and no numbers ( OD )😉

every one has his own style and what apply for one vehicle might not apply for another 

@Mohamed Seidam Thanks for the insight into using the gear system of the XTERRA. Will surely try this in my next drive. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 12/17/2020 at 5:54 AM, Chaitanya D said:

Yes awake just now @Rahimdad🤣.There is a small OD - Over drive button on the gear lever under the knob at the position of thumb when you hold the gear.

Press it and u will see gear numbers while driving. If its 4 you can down shift to 3 manually , if you cannot wait for the automatic while driving fast to over take or whatever. Try this OD button and play around . Go through the link below 

Having said all this, I usually drive my Xterra with cruise control on highways at 80 or 90 kmph listening to my favorite music on the 3rd lane.I lose may be few min, but the drive is enjoyable. Never tried this OD 

@Chaitanya D I got my XTERRA back from garage after fixing the steering rack leak today morning. I was impatient to try out yours & @Mohamed Seidam advices on the lag in acceleration when cruising @ speeds above 120 kms/hr. Viola the switching off of the OD button on the gear shift worked like magic. The lag is GONE. I understood what was happening before and the reason for the lag. Once you cross the speedlimit for the OD the gear shifts into overdrive but when you want to accelerate more the gear shifts to the 4th and it takes 2 or 3 seconds for this process. If the OD is switched off the car has no need to shift gears and speed up and its instantaneous. I believe it will cut the km/liter of petrol and as I run it regularly its not economical on highways. Surely in my next drive in carnity it will be switched off as who cares about gas mileage when you are enjoying and I believe it will be safe also as lag in acceleration is eliminated which is very crucial. 

Thanks everyone for the very valuable advice. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

On 12/17/2020 at 5:54 AM, Chaitanya D said:

@Chaitanya D excellent advice. I checked the manual of XTERRA and it says exactly same what you stated. All the time (actually only 2 times I did the off road drive and it was as as Absolute Newbie & Newbie with Carnity) I was driving in D and that was the reason I had to throttle up from the beginning for not to lose momentum and make jump over the crest. This time with the drive with @Rahimdad on Christmas Day at Nazwa Farms, Sharjah I will try @Chaitanya D's advice of driving at 3 & 2. I think it will work and I should be having a smooth drive up and down the dunes in those gears. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Thomas Varghese said:

@Chaitanya D excellent advice. I checked the manual of XTERRA and it says exactly same what you stated. All the time (actually only 2 times I did the off road drive and it was as as Absolute Newbie & Newbie with Carnity) I was driving in D and that was the reason I had to throttle up from the beginning for not to lose momentum and make jump over the crest. This time with the drive with @Rahimdad on Christmas Day at Nazwa Farms, Sharjah I will try @Chaitanya D's advice of driving at 3 & 2. I think it will work and I should be having a smooth drive up and down the dunes in those gears. 

@Thomas Varghese In addition to that , try not to shift often between gears while the OD is off as you might see raise in the transmission temp . If you keep it on 2 or 3 you will notice the temp almost same.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Mohamed Seidam said:

@Thomas Varghese In addition to that , try not to shift often between gears while the OD is off as you might see raise in the transmission temp . If you keep it on 2 or 3 you will notice the temp almost same.

Is there any provision to check the transmission temp? @Mohamed Seidam

• Like (+1) 1