•  

Morning Fewbie Plus Desert Drive - Bowling in Sweihan - Abu Dhabi - 3 Sep 2021

2 hours ago, Lorenzo Candelpergher said:

Dear Desert Wanderers, 

@Arman, @PaoloMaraziti, @Hasan Wahlan, @Farouq Owdeh, @Mario Cornejo, @Mus_hus78, @Ruan van den Heever, @Xavier Treasurer, @Lakshmi Narasimhan,  @GauravSoni, pls make sure you have a full fuel tank tomorrow morning.

The petrol station nearest to the meeting point is this ADNOC one:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/LcJAEM3FfibMFyfm6

Also, pls bring lots of water! 

If you coming using alain road the nearest one:

ADNOC Service Station | Al Saad 
https://maps.app.goo.gl/Gg1ErrcJL7MJeySs9

• Like (+1) 3

DRIVE REPORT

Dear Desert Wanderers, 

Sweihan is one of those places where, even after driving for four consecutive hours, one would never stop.. And today's drive was no different! 

The meeting point was quite crowded this morning, with two other convoys gathering there as well. With that confusion, we were able to make our move to the sand by 5:45am, a bit later than planned. 

We warmed up on the nearby tall dunes in the twilight before the sunrise, roaming around for the first few minutes. We then started what was then meant to become the leitmotiv of the day, i.e. climbing as high as was reasonably possible, driving around as many bowls as we could find and throwing in, here and there, a bit of more peppered stuff, with some daring criss-crossing or complex passages as a proper Fewbie Plus drive demands. 

20210903_070243.jpg.95e21551d8d8d34633f722316b2df385.jpg

One one side the Dubai lot of @Carnitymembers and in particular @GauravSoni, @Arman and @Mario Cornejo, who are familiar with my spaghetti-climbing drive style in Intermediate Drives at Area 53 in Sharjah, probably today felt we were doing the same on steroids as far as the terrain was concerned, which was totally new for @Mario Cornejo and @PaoloMaraziti

On the other hand, the Abu Dhabi lot of @Carnity members got the opportunity to drive once again in a well known area but under a new lead, experimenting a different driving style.

After just 25 mins in the drive, when, warmed up and with full daylight, we started a sequence of sustained slideslopes, @PaoloMaraziti had a very unfortunate pop-out on his rear right wheel, probably due to an excessive fishtailing on a right-curved long dune. Having a rear pop-out is fairly rare, but I guess it was the first time that @PaoloMaraziti faced such high dunes and a moment of hesitation caused a nasty wrapping of the tire, with a double cut on the inner side wall. After replacing the tire with the spare one, it was a wise decision by our unfortunate friend to bail out, certainly not an easy one given the efforts made to be there (PCR, drive from Dubai, early wake-up) and the amazing terrain we were in. 

20210903_062258.jpg.59e9a190a7d79d48ba9ac4ccb1b5ffc0.jpg

After leading @PaoloMaraziti to the dirt track, we headed back in, fiercely climbing every dune and riding every bowl we could see around. 

As we proceeded east, the convoy got progressively accostumed with the pace and I felt comfortable to spice up the level with a few all-but-trivial criss-crossings, where we had a few refusals and reattempts but only three real stucks during the entire drive, two sorted out by self-recoveries by @Farouq Owdeh and @Xavier Treasurer after some team shoveling and one requiring a quick winching from a nasty crest for @Hasan Wahlan

The drive was fluid, intense and high paced, which was particularly appreciated by @Ruan van den Heever and @Mus_hus78, apparently. This was possible thanks to a great convoy where every driver chewed as a pro whatever I would throw under his wheels, even at the back where the sand was constantly churned up.. 

Everyone did extremely well today. 

@Arman was an excellent 2nd lead, promptly rerouting when I asked some adjustments to my lines. Apparently he ended the drive with very low fuel.. We certainly pushed our throttles today! 

@PaoloMaraziti was really unlucky today. I'm glad he took the whole thing with a positive spirit and, most importantly, that, even after just 25min drive, he fell in love with Sweihan. 

@Hasan Wahlan certainly didn't spare his Landcruser, always pushing it as high as possible at every climb, which caused some overheating issues here and there, all well managed, though. 

@Farouq Owdeh's roaring engine had every chance to play its "music" throughout the drive. Impressive how his tire marks were very often the highest ones on the high climbs. 

@Mario Cornejo, excellent Center Forward, for sure enjoyed every minute of today's drive, discovering Sweihan dune after dune, apparently driving most of the drive in 4LO. Curious to know how was his fuel consumption. 

@Mus_hus78 certainly squeezed every bit of power from his Pajero today, climbing aggressively every slope and driving around every bowl. I am afraid the front bumper didn't enjoy the drive as much as the driver, but I hope it can be easily fixed. 

A moment of distraction costed @Ruan van den Heever his first pop-out ever, again a rear tire, but it was fixed in no-time and we were on the move in less than 10 mins. Other than that, an impeccable drive in churned up sand.

@Xavier Treasurer didn't disclose until the end of the drive that he was having overheating issues to the extent that he drove most of the time with the heating on to help cooling down the engine. This costed him some power, which combined with the soft and churned sand at the back made his life all but easy. Even more deserved, therefore, a big kudos for a great ride at the far end of the convoy. 

Closing the convoy with sweeping elegance was @GauravSoni, a certainty at the back and great support with @Mario Cornejo in the few stucks / pop-outs of the day. 

20210903_070124.jpg.d707d0bf28662e076f85f8a451269c95.jpg

Overall we drove for 4h 5', covering 82.9km of distance, even if the last 15km were on dirt track to facilitate an easier exit given the fuel consumption concerns of a couple of drivers (who was saying his fuel gauge isn't working?). Our average moving speed was 28.7km/h, but recalculated excluding the last fast stint on tracks, it was in fact 23.6km/h. We were in motion for 3h 5' with 58' of idle time. The total ascent exceeded 1600m. 

Screenshot_20210903-210304_Drive.jpg.8edb4491156d2da92a4856799ad81363.jpg

A great drive, a bit special for me as it was my 70th drive with @Carnity and 30th as a lead. Even more special considering that I was in Sweihan the 1st time just 11 months ago in an Intermediate Drive. 

Thanks to everyone for the fantastic company, congrats for the great performance. I hope everyone enjoyed as much as I did. 

Looking forward to the next one! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 2

First of all....a thousand shout outs to @Lorenzo Candelpergher for a flawless lead, exciting and excellently executed. @Srikumar.....you have a serious challange picking up the pase. (Internal joke amongst the AD boys). Seriously, whether a F+ drive is supposed to touch on intermediate driving without sustaining it on a permanent basis or not..... @Lorenzo Candelpergher did not only pick up the pase during certain instances today, he redefined the entire damn meaning. Momentum of the convoy was key to keeping every driver concentrated and on the edge of their seats.

Further, I have to correct myself. I did have a popout before. It was on a night drive with @Srikumar. The same evening that my front left swaybar linkage broke and I was left with limited steering due to a flipped swaybar. It was a @Tbone assisted fix.

Thank you for assisting with the fix today @Lorenzo Candelpergher and @Gaurav Soni.

Today was fun and most of all a teaching school. I love driving at the back of the convoy, it challanges car and driver.

Untill next time. Safe driving!

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Farouq Owdeh said:

Will add more videos. 

Nice video and amazing driving  👍@Farouq Owdeh

1 hour ago, PaoloMaraziti said:

Let’s not wait an other 11 months before repeating ! 

I hope that too as can’t miss that long @Lorenzo Candelpergher’s  action packed drives 😎 

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, PaoloMaraziti said:

My first time in Sweihan, not the best, but not the last !

Yes this is my friend 👍

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Ruan van den Heever said:

First of all....a thousand shout outs to @Lorenzo Candelpergher for a flawless lead, exciting and excellently executed. @Srikumar.....you have a serious challange picking up the pase. (Internal joke amongst the AD boys). Seriously, whether a F+ drive is supposed to touch on intermediate driving without sustaining it on a permanent basis or not..... @Lorenzo Candelpergher did not only pick up the pase during certain instances today, he redefined the entire damn meaning. Momentum of the convoy was key to keeping every driver concentrated and on the edge of their seats.

Further, I have to correct myself. I did have a popout before. It was on a night drive with @Srikumar. The same evening that my front left swaybar linkage broke and I was left with limited steering due to a flipped swaybar. It was a @Tbone assisted fix.

Thank you for assisting with the fix today @Lorenzo Candelpergher and @Gaurav Soni.

Today was fun and most of all a teaching school. I love driving at the back of the convoy, it challanges car and driver.

Untill next time. Safe driving!

I don't believe it's just a coincidence that Lorenzo has a name sounding similar to Enzo Ferrari 😄

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Lorenzo Candelpergher said:

20210903_070243.jpg.95e21551d8d8d34633f722316b2df385.jpg

@Mario Cornejo, excellent Center Forward, for sure enjoyed every minute of today's drive, discovering Sweihan dune after dune, apparently driving most of the drive in 4LO. Curious to know how was his fuel consumption. 

@Mus_hus78

@Mario Cornejo - howdy, just curious, was it part of an experiment? I have been thinking of trying it in some areas (especially on steep climbs), just been too concern about effect it could have on car especially when we maintain a good continuous pace. ...plz do share the experience. 

• Like (+1) 1

A big thanks to @Lorenzo Candelpergher for hosting and leading us all during the drive, kudos to @Arman as 2nd lead and @GauravSoni for supporting and keeping the convoy moving from his sweep position.  Also a pleasure to meet and drive with all of you @PaoloMaraziti, @Hasan Wahlan, @Farouq Owdeh, @Mus_hus78, @Ruan van den Heever, and @Xavier Treasurer@PaoloMaraziti, it was an unfortunate situation the pop-out and tyre wall rupture, hope to see you soon in the sand!

This was one of the drives with highest adrenaline rush I've been to.  It also was my first visit to Sweihan and what a great area it is! it required me to be alert and focused whilst taking those bowls, steep slopes and not to mention the maneuvers to criss-cross certain points.  We also managed to sustain continuous driving for long periods, which kept us all concentrated and with the right momentum to take up those challenges @Lorenzo Candelpergher was throwing at us.  There were a few refusals and pop-outs, all were dealt safely and diligently, either with help of other members (the morning shoveling workout! 😅) or through self-recovery.

As an experiment, this time I drove in 4L/tiptronic and deflated tires down to 9 PSI, the hypothesis was to try improve climbing capability and also maintain a lower engine coolant temperature.  The engine coolant temperature reached 105C at its highest point, compared to 110C / 113C observed in a previous drives, notably in Dubai's Area 53, whilst driving in 4H.  My perception was that, in spite of the soft and churned sand in some areas, the climbing performance was slightly better than driving in 4H, however driving 4L compromises speed and, as I am no car expert, don't know what impact it might have in the mechanics of the car (short, mid or long term).

In terms of fuel consumption: by the time it was announced we were exiting the fuel gauge was about to reach half tank (capacity is 95L), I reached inflation point exactly with half tank, I also had to stop a few seconds on the way back to engage 4H as we were already on the dirt track.

Here are a few videos, mostly chasing @Farouq Owdeh whose 5.7L Hemi engine can be heard roaring:

Clip 1:

Clip 2:  Check at 0:05 what I think was a Super Safari Gazelle 🤩 climbing from the right of the video frame 

Clip 3: 

Wish you all a great week ahead!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

22 hours ago, Mario Cornejo said:

A big thanks to @Lorenzo Candelpergher for hosting and leading us all during the drive, kudos to @Arman as 2nd lead and @GauravSoni for supporting and keeping the convoy moving from his sweep position.  Also a pleasure to meet and drive with all of you @PaoloMaraziti, @Hasan Wahlan, @Farouq Owdeh, @Mus_hus78, @Ruan van den Heever, and @Xavier Treasurer@PaoloMaraziti, it was an unfortunate situation the pop-out and tyre wall rupture, hope to see you soon in the sand!

This was one of the drives with highest adrenaline rush I've been to.  It also was my first visit to Sweihan and what a great area it is! it required me to be alert and focused whilst taking those bowls, steep slopes and not to mention the maneuvers to criss-cross certain points.  We also managed to sustain continuous driving for long periods, which kept us all concentrated and with the right momentum to take up those challenges @Lorenzo Candelpergher was throwing at us.  There were a few refusals and pop-outs, all were dealt safely and diligently, either with help of other members (the morning shoveling workout! 😅) or through self-recovery.

As an experiment, this time I drove in 4L/tiptronic and deflated tires down to 9 PSI, the hypothesis was to try improve climbing capability and also maintain a lower engine coolant temperature.  The engine coolant temperature reached 105C at its highest point, compared to 110C / 113C observed in a previous drives, notably in Dubai's Area 53, whilst driving in 4H.  My perception was that, in spite of the soft and churned sand in some areas, the climbing performance was slightly better than driving in 4H, however driving 4L compromises speed and, as I am no car expert, don't know what impact it might have in the mechanics of the car (short, mid or long term).

In terms of fuel consumption: by the time it was announced we were exiting the fuel gauge was about to reach half tank (capacity is 95L), I reached inflation point exactly with half tank, I also had to stop a few seconds on the way back to engage 4H as we were already on the dirt track.

Here are a few videos, mostly chasing @Farouq Owdeh whose 5.7L Hemi engine can be heard roaring:

Clip 1:

Clip 2:  Check at 0:05 what I think was a Super Safari Gazelle 🤩 climbing from the right of the video frame 

Clip 3: 

Wish you all a great week ahead!

I've got a friend in a jeep club I'm in that exclusively drives in 4L (except he's got a manual), he's been doing it for years now and has had no issues but believes that some of that may be due to the manual gear box as he seldom shifts below 3rd gear when in 4L ( lower gears in TJ are geared super low and you'd have to shift very early in 4L). 

You lose top speed in 4L because you're doing a severe gear reduction (in a tj it's something like 11:1) so you're getting 11x more torque for 11x less speed approximately...... (correction to this number here, in first gear and 4L the Auto TJs are geared 6:1 and the Manuals are geared 10:1)

I may try this with my TJ on an upcoming climb focused drive, not sure how she'll deal with speed though as the 4 speed auto gearbox is limited at the top end. 

Edited by Arman
Just amending some math
  • Like (+1) 2

Important Information

Terms of use