COVID19 Compliant - Morning Fewbie Desert Drive - Al Lisali - Qudra - 24 Jul 2020

Wrangeld

33 minutes ago, Wrangeld said:

Ok. You were first in wait list. No problem. See you in the evening. 

@Mehmet Volga as JJ has pulled out and ChaitanyaD has declined you are next on the waitlist so i added you to the drive. 

Please confirm. 

@Wrangeld yes I confirm, please add me to the drive...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

THIS DRIVE IS NOW CLOSED

Good Morning Al Lisali Adventurers

@Lorenzo Candelpergher @Jolly Abraham @Yousef Alimadadi @RohanH @Shiju Manuel @asifk @marks @Nizam Deen @Mehmet Volga @Janarthan (apologies to @Jorge Stepniak Felippe - no more drop outs) @Rahimdad

By this time tomorrow morning we should be home and exited from the dunes having conquered (to some degree or other) the route from Al Lisali to Al Qudra.

All things being equal what should you expect from the drive, and what do you need to be prepared to get you mentally in tune with the drive.

Firstly, here is the drive convoy.

image.png.5c4927433cda5a6d2d7d4d7b3ee328f2.png

Please make sure that you know where you are supposed to be in the convoy, who should be in front and who should be behind.  Most of the colors of the vehicles are set out in the convoy list. We will confirm these on the day.

We will be using Carnity Radio Channel 2. Please switch on your radios once you reach the deflation point so we can all speak to each other.

The deflation point is on the tarmac road around the camel track. We will drive onto the sand track to get entry to the dunes from there.

The pre drive briefing will be given once everyone is deflated and with flags erected.

Be prepared for criss crossing, ridge riding and side sloping. Get your mind attuned to the fact you will be doing this before you start driving because when you start doing this sort of stuff it often requires a leap of faith in yourself and your vehicle. Just remember, if a car in front managed this, so can you.

Having said that, no one needs to do anything that they do not feel safe in doing. This is not about showing how brave we are, it’s about learning how to get through the obstacles in the sand safely and if you don’t feel it, don’t do it. There is no shame in taking a lower or different route. There is no shame in getting stuck or a refusal. In fact, the opposite.

This is why your radio is the most essential piece of equipment to have to hand at all times. This is how you tell us there is a problem, that you need more explanation, that you need to step out of your car. If you don’t tell, we cannot know. In this gave, silence is assumed to be agreement.

Looking forward to seeing everyone bright and early tomorrow.

Feel free, if you have any questions to post them here and we will do our best to answer.

See you soon in the sand.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

This was a long and challenging drive. So as I need something to cheer me up this morning, here are the hightlights of the briefing - which was probably the smothest part of the whole drive!

We ask that you please fasten your seatbelts at this time and secure all baggage underneath your seat, in your overhead compartments or in your baggage net so that it cannot fall or shift in the unlikely event of turbulence during the drive.

We also ask that your put your seats comfortably in the optimum position for driving. Please prepare all personal electronic devices, such as go pro, navigation tools or mobile phones so that you can focus on the drive to come.

For those of you travelling with children, why? And for those of you travelling with a partner or two or more children – what in the world were you thinking of?

Exiting your vehicle is prohibited for the duration of drive the unless specifically permitted by one of the seniors on duty. We are pleased to announce that Carnity has some of the most experienced Senior drivers in the UAE 4x4 community. Unfortunately, none of them were available today, so you will have to do with myself and Rahimdad.

I will come back to you during the drive with more details about our drive route and eventual conditions at our destination.  The forecast currently says that by the time we get there it will be 50C with broken clouds. We will do our best to fix the clouds before we get there, but no promises.

In any event, thank you for choosing Carnity Off Road Club. We do appreciate you choosing Carnity. However, if you have any problems with this drive today and for whatever reason do not enjoy yourself, just remember, we are Jeepers.

In the circumstances everyone did very well, and technical dunes should never ever be a challenge for anyone that went through the master class. 

See you soon in the sand

Edited by Wrangeld
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

The technical dunes masterclass. 

This was my longest (time wise) drive ever but, despite the extreme duration I must say I enjoyed every bit of it. 

It all started with some very good loughs while listening to a brilliant briefing by @Wrangeld, perfect to make sure everyone is awake and listening. Things however got immediately serious as soon as we got into the small technical dunes next to the camel track. 

I was probably luckier than others in the convoy, being in the 2nd lead position, as I didn't have to deal too much with churned-up sand, but driving my Nissan Patrol Y62 in those tiny little dunes turned out super-fun for me and surprisingly less problematic than I would have expected. Having drastically improved in how to manage gears and power, I felt I could cruise around in a relatively easy way: in fact I got stuck only once, when - a bit bored for the long waiting - I moved the car forward for no reason without realising I was heading into a mini-bowl, tailored in the pefect size to block me from any further movement.

@Rahimdad had a superbusy start with tons of recoveries in the very first technical dunes. We then had the illusion of some easy going on some large and fun dunes, but it didn't last long as this ride was a true masterclass in tricky small dunes combined with mercyless soft sand.

The final bit towards Qudra turned out to be extremely hard to move around for a 12 cars convoy. Maybe in these adverse terrain conditions smaller convoys could be considered in order to minimize the time spent in waiting for the unavoidable recoveries from nasty stucks.

@Rahimdad and @Wrangeld were restless in their recoveries efforts, which deserve everyone's gratitude and appreciation. Today's number of recoveries was abnormal and protracted for many hours in full day-time sunlight!

I look forward to having another chance as 2nd lead, as the circumstances of the ride didn't allow me for much activity in such role, but I guess it will have to wait for a bit, as I will be taking some time off in Europe during the month of August. 

Thanks to all for the ride and see you on the sand again on August 28th!!

20200725_152600.jpg

20200725_152629.jpg

20200725_152822.jpg

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

@Lorenzo Candelpergher you deserve congratulations for how you handled a very challenging 2nd lead ... which was ably demonstrated in drive #2 because i could see just how easily you handled anything tecnical. 

A super long day before your vacation but well spent. 

See you on your return. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rahimdad said:

Trip report from my point of view.

Firstly I would like to apologize for the 20 minutes delay. But Captain @Wrangeld briefing before take off was enjoyable, I'm glad I didn't miss it. By 5:30 am though we were all ready to move. I'm glad I took @Wrangeld invitation to join this drive, I would not change my mind for any other drive this Friday. There comes a time when as off-roaders we have to learn that for some time on playable long range dunes we have to go through some small technical dunes as well. This Friday drive it was a great learning for everybody to stay on the track as set by the leader, as if you are a bit off your car is going to slide into a really challenging situation.

It was also a day to put self recovery learning to practice and I saw so many such feats which made me very proud. @Wrangeld choose the perfect path and gave us loads of opportunities to learn from this trip. Thanks to the wonderful weather he even extended the time of the drive to allow everyone more time at learning even though he had a drive to support in the afternoon.

@Lorenzo Candelpergher surprised me with the ease with which he manuevered his beast. I would have never thought I'd see the day when I'd see a Y62 do so well in those small technical dunes, but I have had a change of heart now. I believe the advise for the gears also came from @Wrangeld and @Frederic, put to great use. So yes driver wins.

@Jolly Abraham has been one to teach me that a 2.7 litre 4 cylinder is also a Toyota and still capable as long as it's in the right hands. My thanks to him for joining me for a recce trip to find a quick exit. Just needed one tug while attacking a front face as I did not want to create multiple tracks to confuse anyone. Quick Learning as the next front fave was even steeper but he managed well.

@Yousef Alimadadi is learning real fast. I believe he is the master of self recoveries and I feel very proud to see him grow and do so well.

@RohanH is very patient and follows instructions well. Just see some hesitation at times, and experimenting at times. Although some experiments don't work well, but every stuck and refusal teaches you a valuable lesson and seems you are on the right track.

@Shiju Manuel is always in the right spirit and the right frame of mind. I'm sure as he grows in experience he will make a great off-roader.

@asifk maybe it's the name. I have lots of respect for the name @Asif Hussain. But I have seen glimpse of brilliance at a very early stage. Really love the calmness with which he handles situations and is a very strong and helpful character. I'm sure @asifk growth in this sport will be just as remarkable as @Asif Hussain and just waiting to drive with him time and time again.

@marks just stopped to surprise me. Sure he has an FJ, but he is not the only one with an FJ. He has shown week after week that off-roading is in his DNA. Very capable but quiet individual who nobody notices since he quietly slips under the radar.

@Nizam Deen another quiet individual. Still work in progress. Still learning. But largely on the right track, coming out week after week and learning and putting our teachings in practice. Love the cool and calm nature, follows instructions well and wants to watch and learn. Very keen learner and should start seeing some real goid changes real soon.

@Mehmet Volga keeps things interesting. He accepts whatever comes his way with a huge smile and lit of enthusiasm. Trying to learn and grow within the Carnity structure at his own pace and not phased out by challenges faced by him. Lovely personality and has offers to put smile to anyone's face. Thanks for offering the energetic orange juice, but I'll be waiting for my other drink.

@Janarthan what a pleasure knowing you were in sweep and out to help me with my duties to keep the convoy moving. At one point there was some exhaustion, but you never showed it and kept your energy up throughout the drive. Recommendable trait to follow. Off-roader are tough, but everyone can get through with some help, I'm so glad that I had you for help.

@Wrangeld love your lead. You never want to take the lead in an easy area. Always finding areas where you can challenge yourself and develop everyone in the most complete manner safely. You did it again. You found the best track, in the best area with wonderful weather. Hats off to you. This is what @Gaurav bhai promised me in developing new leaders. A different flavour every time. I love the @Wrangeld flavour and difficult to think any one in Carnity now who would reach your flavour. Hope you got some rest before the afternoon drive support. Love your energy levels and your briefing. Till next time I bid you all farewell with a promise to see you in the dunes again soon.

Thank you @Rahimdad for all your guidance. It was good learning for me specially at the time of self recovery.

I am happy that I am on track 😝

• Like (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1

It was the longest drive I’ve ever done but what an amazing opportunity to get more in tune with my Pajero on these technical dunes, and opportunity to learn new skills from the leads and fellow drivers. Thanks for a great experience @Wrangeld and advice @Rahimdad. For me the highlight was the difficult stuck for @Mehmet Volga where many of us had to put in some proper muscle to dig out his pajero and gave me the chance for my first recovery with carnity, and that too on a very difficult spot. With @marks, @Mehmet Volga and I working together and @Wrangeld guiding us, we managed to pull him out after a couple of false starts. 

I had to have a proper nap in the afternoon, but was a great experience, thanks all ! Will put some pics in the gallery. 

• Thanks (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 4

3 hours ago, Rahimdad said:

Trip report from my point of view.

Firstly I would like to apologize for the 20 minutes delay. But Captain @Wrangeld briefing before take off was enjoyable, I'm glad I didn't miss it. By 5:30 am though we were all ready to move. I'm glad I took @Wrangeld invitation to join this drive, I would not change my mind for any other drive this Friday. There comes a time when as off-roaders we have to learn that for some time on playable long range dunes we have to go through some small technical dunes as well. This Friday drive it was a great learning for everybody to stay on the track as set by the leader, as if you are a bit off your car is going to slide into a really challenging situation.

It was also a day to put self recovery learning to practice and I saw so many such feats which made me very proud. @Wrangeld choose the perfect path and gave us loads of opportunities to learn from this trip. Thanks to the wonderful weather he even extended the time of the drive to allow everyone more time at learning even though he had a drive to support in the afternoon.

@Lorenzo Candelpergher surprised me with the ease with which he manuevered his beast. I would have never thought I'd see the day when I'd see a Y62 do so well in those small technical dunes, but I have had a change of heart now. I believe the advise for the gears also came from @Wrangeld and @Frederic, put to great use. So yes driver wins.

@Jolly Abraham has been one to teach me that a 2.7 litre 4 cylinder is also a Toyota and still capable as long as it's in the right hands. My thanks to him for joining me for a recce trip to find a quick exit. Just needed one tug while attacking a front face as I did not want to create multiple tracks to confuse anyone. Quick Learning as the next front fave was even steeper but he managed well.

@Yousef Alimadadi is learning real fast. I believe he is the master of self recoveries and I feel very proud to see him grow and do so well.

@RohanH is very patient and follows instructions well. Just see some hesitation at times, and experimenting at times. Although some experiments don't work well, but every stuck and refusal teaches you a valuable lesson and seems you are on the right track.

@Shiju Manuel is always in the right spirit and the right frame of mind. I'm sure as he grows in experience he will make a great off-roader.

@asifk maybe it's the name. I have lots of respect for the name @Asif Hussain. But I have seen glimpse of brilliance at a very early stage. Really love the calmness with which he handles situations and is a very strong and helpful character. I'm sure @asifk growth in this sport will be just as remarkable as @Asif Hussain and just waiting to drive with him time and time again.

@marks just stopped to surprise me. Sure he has an FJ, but he is not the only one with an FJ. He has shown week after week that off-roading is in his DNA. Very capable but quiet individual who nobody notices since he quietly slips under the radar.

@Nizam Deen another quiet individual. Still work in progress. Still learning. But largely on the right track, coming out week after week and learning and putting our teachings in practice. Love the cool and calm nature, follows instructions well and wants to watch and learn. Very keen learner and should start seeing some real goid changes real soon.

@Mehmet Volga keeps things interesting. He accepts whatever comes his way with a huge smile and lit of enthusiasm. Trying to learn and grow within the Carnity structure at his own pace and not phased out by challenges faced by him. Lovely personality and has offers to put smile to anyone's face. Thanks for offering the energetic orange juice, but I'll be waiting for my other drink.

@Janarthan what a pleasure knowing you were in sweep and out to help me with my duties to keep the convoy moving. At one point there was some exhaustion, but you never showed it and kept your energy up throughout the drive. Recommendable trait to follow. Off-roader are tough, but everyone can get through with some help, I'm so glad that I had you for help.

@Wrangeld love your lead. You never want to take the lead in an easy area. Always finding areas where you can challenge yourself and develop everyone in the most complete manner safely. You did it again. You found the best track, in the best area with wonderful weather. Hats off to you. This is what @Gaurav bhai promised me in developing new leaders. A different flavour every time. I love the @Wrangeld flavour and difficult to think any one in Carnity now who would reach your flavour. Hope you got some rest before the afternoon drive support. Love your energy levels and your briefing. Till next time I bid you all farewell with a promise to see you in the dunes again soon.

Thank you Rahim bhai @Rahimdad see you all soon. 

• Like (+1) 3

Important Information

Terms of use