•  

Every off-roader must know: What Went Wrong?

Rahimdad

19 hours ago, Asif Hussain said:

What went wrong here?

That crested wrangler looks happy in being stuck there...

Angle was wrong here but it would not a big problem if power was less... Same angle with a bit less power could do a safe crossing I think (not too less as that wrangler). 

Also, just before reaching to the top (see sec 0:19) it slightly turned steering to right and broke the balance of landing (did it to avoid from wrangler I think)

After watching all these videos, I will more focus to "decrease" power. As seen here, soft sand can suddenly stop any momentum if approaching angle is high, so it shouldn't be underestimated... 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

4 hours ago, Rahimdad said:

- It is a sharp and steep ridge, Looks like the dune is being climbed from the slip face side.

- Too much speed and wrong angle for sure.

- Very unsafe move, Seeing a car already stuck, we should stop, wait and reassess the situation...

- Another reason is the show off attitude, showing that my car is better and more powerful.

3 hours ago, J J said:

Got another one ...different terrain though

- Very dangerous move, should have reverse straight down. 

- It was a hard braking as well while reversing.

Edited by Anish S
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

23 hours ago, Asif Hussain said:

Excessive speed made him fly and land nose down, and wrong angle made him partially flip in the air with front left side diving down more.

However the worst part, in my opinion, is that the guy should have never approached the crest while another car was stuck there, even less driving along a line so close to it! If anything, he should have approached slowly and stopped nearby to see if help was needed..

Edited by Lorenzo Candelpergher
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

6 hours ago, J J said:

i think apart from drivers mistake gravity and slippery surface also had a big impact. 

when he tried to reverse little bit car slipped more than what he asked. if he reduced the tyre pressure little bit more he might have some more traction and should have been easy to reverse it without slipping. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

On 7/14/2020 at 11:37 PM, Asif Hussain said:

What went wrong here?

@Rahimdad even late though i will still pen down something on this..

1) First as rightly said by almost everybody speed is the issue (as @Gaurav always says it we are not here to race or to overtake anybody without any reason)..

2) As @Gaurav quite often advises us newbies to take a 'leap of faith' to cross this kind of dune whilst for him i think it is his overconfidence that misled him to just tackle the dune in any manner without assessing it..

3) Discipline and respect is also another skill required which appears to be lacking here..

Edited by Veedooshee
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

I think the high speed was an ego thing and they definitely learnt that you dont need the biggest balls and show them off. 

#slowandsteadywinstherace

as for the prado, he fought gravity hence he rolled down. all would've been avoided if he straightened up and reversed down. 

These videos make me very happy that we have experienced offroaders with us giving us tips and advice thru every situation as i think some of these people in the videos werent so lucky. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1

2 hours ago, Colin Jordan said:

I think the high speed was an ego thing and they definitely learnt that you dont need the biggest balls and show them off. 

#slowandsteadywinstherace

as for the prado, he fought gravity hence he rolled down. all would've been avoided if he straightened up and reversed down. 

These videos make me very happy that we have experienced offroaders with us giving us tips and advice thru every situation as i think some of these people in the videos werent so lucky. 

That’s exactly why we keep preaching to leave your egos at home during off-roading. It eventually goes wrong and the desert “giveth but also taketh”..😉

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

I'm so glad that we get to learn from others mistakes. If these videos and lessons can teach deflate our egos a bit it is the cherry on the cake. Since offroading is now a big part of our life and not a competition, safety is our number 1 priority. Respect the terrain and respect the different conditions we go through at different seasons throughout the year. I've now been offroading for around 12 years and still learning the art of offroading. We should never forget our basics.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

22 hours ago, J J said:

Shocking amount of times that this car rolled all the way down😧

Initially he didn't have enough momentum to go uphill, but then coming down i do not understand why he was playing so much with the steering wheel, he should have reversed straight down slowly.  I also noticed that people had to shout to get his attention, if he had a radio, people could have guided him down better. Then he braked really hard and the car started to roll. Another thing caught my attention was the fact that the driver was thrown out of the car so most probably he didn't have his seatbelt.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 3

1 minute ago, Veedooshee said:

Shocking amount of times that this car rolled all the way down😧

Initially he didn't have enough momentum to go uphill, but then coming down i do not understand why he was playing so much with the steering wheel, he should have reversed straight down slowly.  I also noticed that people had to shout to get his attention, if he had a radio, people could have guided him down better. Then he braked really hard and the car started to roll. Another thing caught my attention was the fact that the driver was thrown out of the car so most probably he didn't have his seatbelt.

Yes that seat belt point is very important ! Well done !

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

• Gaurav locked this topic
  • Gaurav unlocked this topic

Important Information

Terms of use